Saturday, January 16, 2010

Happy Amanda: Now With More Productivity

Ok, so my weekdays haven't been super productive, but that's mostly because work is so slow. Having nothing to do all day at work is slowly sucking the life out of me. My options for keeping myself occupied are sort of limited since it is work, and I'm stuck in a little office. In a cruel twist of fate, there is something about knitting at work that I find difficult. I can't put my finger on it, but I'll try knitting for a few minutes, then stop. I think there is something keeping me from getting in the right frame of mind.

However, I have read through the last two (in the series of three) of Kate Jacobs' books- Knit Two, and Knit the Season. Both were Christmas gifts from Scott's Dad & Step-mom, who also gave me her first one, Friday Night Knitting Club. I enjoyed reading them, overall. It seems like a lot of people either love or hate her series (or at least her first book), and I can sort of see why. They are not literary masterpieces, but I've also read a LOT worse. The stories are interesting, but you need a healthy suspension of disbelief- I kept wondering where all these people were getting their endless supply of money, especially with such carefree attitudes about spending it all. I also had to roll my eyes a little at the number of happy coincidences, especially in the last two books. The series reminded me of most movies that are aimed at a teenage audience- things tend to work out just so, the character development leaves a little to be desired... You know they're never going to get an Oscar, but they're not really meant to. They're fun, but you might want to wait for the rental.

My weekends however, continue to be somewhat productive! I went to knit night last night, but left early due to a troubling rumble in my belly. Luckily it turned out to be a false alarm, but better safe than sorry. At home I cleaned the house a bit, and later (once I was sure I was fine) drove down the street and rinsed the salt off the Jeep. The Jeep, by the way, has been running just fine. Scott waved me off when I told him that I had gotten the oil changed in an effort to appease it after the last incident, but I think it worked.

This morning I did all my errands, and picked up the ingredients for both turkey salad and pulled pork. I've had a hankering for tuna salad sandwiches, except not with tuna. I don't eat seafood, but as I child I could occasionally be convinced to eat tuna if it was mixed with lots of other things. I first thought of chicken salad, but I like turkey a lot more! So I got some turkey breast cutlets, and made it this afternoon. Mmmm, it is so good! Especially with my sister's home-made pickles. And somewhere on Ravelry, there has been some discussion of pulled pork. So now I want that too! I read that you should use a pork shoulder roast, so that's what I got. I don't know a lot about meat (or cooking, or anything like that really) so I was pleasantly surprised to see that the ginormous shoulder roasts are cheaper than the smaller pork loin roasts. Good to know! I just hope the bottle of BBQ sauce I got is enough.

Later this afternoon, I made more chocolate chip cookies. My friend Sandy from knit night found out that adding a little extra flour might help the cookies thicken up. I also heard that chilling the dough might help. So I did both! I also used the hand mixer, fearing that perhaps I had over-mixed with the stand mixer. The cookies turned out better than last week, but still not as thick as I'd like. Further research tells me that substituting shortening for half of the butter might work, since it has a higher melting point. I'm going to try that next time (in addition to extra flour and chilled dough), and hope that it doesn't affect the taste too much.

I also got a little surprise for Scott today- jersey sheets for the bed. He loves them, and when we first met he even had a jersey comforter. Sadly, it was old and raggedy and we eventually replaced it with a hideous freebie from my aunt (bright yellow with lighthouses all over it- I wish I had a picture, it was so terrible). Anywho, I walked past them at Target, and thought, "What the hell. We only have one set of sheets, and it would be nice to have a second." Plus they were only $20 for the queen set! Who can pass that up?

Speaking of which, the dryer just dinged. Time to go make the bed before Scott gets home!

No comments: