Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dead Highway Cat Update

Well, for starters he's not dead. Surprise!! For the past week I've been looking at that cat, curled up in the same spot every day, and feeling horrible. Then as I drove past yesterday, he was sitting up. Decidedly not dead. Looking right at me. I could not for the life of me figure out how he was still alive, having been lying in the same spot in freezing temps for over a week.

I thought about calling Animal Control again, but they didn't do anything last time I called, so I figured I would just swing by and see what was up. I decided that I would leave early this morning, and pull off the road to see if I could approach him. I picked up a small package of tuna as a bribe on the way, and brought my leather motorcycle gloves just in case.

I drove down to Germantown, got off 270, then got right back on the entrance ramp where he was. And what do I see trotting along the curb on the ramp? The little grey cat. His gait was perfect- no limp to indicate an injury. Apparently, he is a (relatively) healthy cat that just likes to take naps on the side of the highway. In the same spot. Everyday.

It was a huge relief to know the little guy isn't starving or freezing to death all alone, though he may be a bit nutty. He was back in his usual spot when I drove by after work, watching the cars go by on the ramp. To each his own, I suppose.

No comments: