Saturday, March 20, 2010

Oops

(I wrote this blog yesterday from my iPhone, but forgot to publish it until just now.)

It was a perfect day to take the Jeep's top down! It was easier than I thought to get down, and sort of did all the work by itself. I rode around for a bit, blasting As I Lay Dying as loud as I could stand. It was awesome. Then I ran to Home Depot, picked up a plastic dropcloth, and drove over to our storage unit. The back seat needed to go. I thought it would probably slide under the folded up top, but I was wrong. So I had to figure out how to get the top back up by myself- which is significantly more difficult than getting it down. It turns out that it's a lot easier if you pull it up while standing inside, just behind the front seats. Once that was under control, I returned my attention to the back seat. It suddenly dawned on me that I had no idea how much it weighed... For a second I thought I might be in over my head, but if Scott can Donkey Kong it up a flight of stairs without complaint, then surely I can move it 15 feet! After all, it's mostly foam, right? Well, it was tricky, but I did it. The sucker was kinda heavy, but more cumbersome than anything else. I got it wrapped up in the plastic, and shuffled it carefully past Scott's Triumph. The original floor mats went with it (they've been replaced with sturdier ones), and I was on my way.

Back at home, I cleaned the vinyl windows with their special cleaner, and rolled them up in my handy new Clover Patch Window Roll. All three windows fit easily, and it can be secured to the roll bars, above the soft top. I'm still anxiously awaiting the boot I ordered, which covers the top when it's down to protect it and keep it from flapping in the wind.

The more I drive this Jeep, the more I love it. I think I love it more than some members of my family. It's that great. I can't wait to drive it all summer with the top down, and kick ass in the snow again next winter. It really is an awesome vehicle.

Clearly the weekend is off to a good start, and let's hope that continues tomorrow, when I pick up my kitten! I was able to take off Monday and half of Tuesday for some get-to-know-you time with him. Everything is ready, except for Spencer. I don't think there's any way to prepare him for this. I did give him a bath, and a thorough brushing, but that was mostly for hair-management purposes. Wish us luck, and come back soon for pictures!

No comments: