Saturday, November 7, 2009

Jeeeeeep!

Let me preface this by stating that Scott and I have, on more than one occasion, made fun of all those car commercials that show a husband buying his wife a car for Christmas. "Oh how romantic! A vehicle!" ...Yeah. Also, no matter how financially well off one is, it doesn't seem like a prudent idea to spend tens of thousands of dollars without consulting one's spouse. So when Scott came to me a couple months ago and said that he wanted to buy me a new car for our anniversary, I thought it was sort of hilarious, in an ironic way. But also very sweet, because (as I am the queen of qualifiers and justifications) our situation is different- making it okay for us, but still ridiculous in those car commercials.

First of all, we did need to get another car of some sort. We didn't NEED a shiny new one, but we needed something for the winter because Scott can't ride a motorcycle on snow or ice. There is a practical reason in there.

Second, he consulted me. He said, "This is what I'd like to do for you, what do you think?" which is good because a new car is a bit more of an investment than, say, an awesome stand mixer or oodles of yarn. Also, this brings me into the decision process. I wonder how many people secretly don't like the car given to them. Steering 2000 lbs of metal and glass at high speeds is something that should only be done in a vehicle you're comfortable with. And you can't really trick someone into test driving a car without them getting suspicious of your motives.

And third, the reason this is a good gift is that I never got to have a fun car. My first car was a '89 Camry- the family sedan. I totalled it in 2001, leading to my next car, a '99 Corolla- a smaller family sedan. Then in '03, I bought my first new car, another Camry. I chose the Camry because, well, it was a good car for the money, and at the time Scott and I assumed we'd eventually have kids. Little did I know that over the next couple years, we would decide that kids just aren't for us the whole idea of owning a family sedan would be moot. Scott's gift to me is about learning to let go of practicality, and getting something fun.

First we test drove the Volvo C30, and at first that's the car I thought I wanted. It was the right price, and size, and had a turbocharger for a little extra kick. But Scott insisted (wisely) that I try more cars out. Second we drove the Mini Cooper. I hated it. I hated driving it so much that I wonder what the hell is wrong with people who claim to like it. Weirdos. Then we drove a Subaru Impreza, which was okay. Not awesome, not sucky. A little on the too small side, but I don't really need a lot of space anyway. Last, I drove the Jeep Wrangler, and fell in love with it right away...

I had to drive a Sahara, instead of the Sport I planned on getting, because it was all they had on the lot. The sales guy said the drive would be the same- the differences were all cosmetic, so off we went. We drove around some back roads to get a feel for the handling, and came back through town during rush hour. It was the most fun I ever had in a car. Ever. I got home and told Scott that I had made my decision. I wanted the Wrangler.

It was hard to find one that came with the options I wanted, but they found one just outside Philadelphia. Once we settled on price, they drove it down the next day. And now she's mine!




That's my 2010 Wrangler Sport with the Preferred Package, which gives it fog lights, 17" wheels, AC, and a few other amenities. It's also got a soft top, half doors, and SIRIUS radio. I'm hoping it warms up a little bit today so I can try taking out the windows. It's funny that this is the first car I've owned without power windows and locks.

I've woken up early every day since getting it, anxious to drive to work. On the way home yesterday I drove through a stream! It was about 10 feet wide and a foot or so deep- definitely not manageable in a car! So awesome. I drove down some gravely roads too, so I could try out the 4WD. The only thing that sucks is the timing- it's too chilly to put the top down, so that will have to wait until Spring. But I love everything about the Jeep. I love driving it, and look for excuses to do so. Although, I do sort of hope that wears off a little bit, or else I'll spend a fortune in gas, and feel like a wasteful douche.

Thank you, husband, for a wonderful anniversary gift. My 7-8 hours of commuting each week will be so much more enjoyable over the coming years. I don't know that I can get you an equally amazing gift, but I promise to knit you a cozy hat and sweater to wear while I drive you around in my new Jeep. I love you.

1 comment:

naginata said...

Beautiful!! Congratulations on your anniversary AND your lovely new car!!
:)