Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Socks of Doom were a success!



Joe really likes them and they fit, and when he saw me later (I wasn't there when he received them), he greeted me with a big hug and a "thank you." Pure awesome.

I also finished a pair of socks for Cass, which she should get this week.


I still have 85g of the yarn left, and I bet I could get another pair of socks out of that. If I try it, they'll probably be toe-up just in case... and I've never done toe-up socks, so that might be interesting.

On Friday I received my Venture Swap package! Enclosed were some sweet goodies, including a mini Brock Samson and Molotov Cocktease, squishy sock yarn, stitch markers, tiny gun, Monarch-orange hat, and tarot deck. The tarot deck really struck me, because a couple months ago Claudia from Eleganza told me that you're supposed to learn on a deck that somebody has given you... Is the universe trying to tell me something? Spooooky! Anyways, I'm stoked, and extra revved up about the 4th season premier.


It finally stopped raining today! The sun is even peeking out a bit, which will make the plants happy. It rained here pretty much nonstop since Wednesday night. When it's wet and icky out, I like to wear my boots. The slight heel keeps the cuffs of my jeans out of the puddles for the most part, and they keep my feet dry. Except when I neglect to oil them up regularly and water seeps in through the seams. Fail! I spent the better part of Thursday with damp toes, freaking out that I or my shoes would develop some sort of fungus or mold or something (perhaps a slight overreaction). So today I am giving my favorite boots some love. They have been wiped down and rinsed off, and are now drying thoroughly before I lovingly rub mink oil into every nook and cranny, ensuring their water-resistance once again.

Unfortunately, I noticed that one of the heels is getting pretty worn down. I wonder if it would be worth it to have them resoled one day? It might cost just as much as another pair of boots, but holy hell I really love these boots. They kept my feet dry and comfy while I stomped around in the rain and mud at Maryland Sheep in Wool for upwards of 4 hours, they're perfect for motorcycle rides, and are just all around awesome. The leather is super thick and rugged, and has slowly conformed to my feet over time. Do I really want to have to start over again with a new pair? I don't know.

No new car yet. In true Amanda form, I've been flip-flopping all over the place. One of Scott's mechanic friends had some helpful advice, and I've got some more test-driving to do. For a short while, one of the front-runners was a Jeep Wrangler- until the mechanic friend let me know that I'd probably be replacing the transmission in just a couple years. But now I wonder if that would be covered by their lifetime powertrain warranty? But even if it is, would it be worth the hassle? And there's still the super crappy gas mileage to consider... I don't think all that is worth it just for the fun of driving a Jeep. Yeah. I think the Jeep is out.

I think my boots are dry now. Time for some greasy mink oil!

No comments: