Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas Continued

Saturday was loads of fun. My in-laws sent us a little Christmas cash, and after some consideration, Scott and I decided to split it down the middle. Scott bought some sort of motorcycle helmet radio thing, and I drove straight to Toys'R'Us. I bought three awesome things, shown here in order of ascending awesomeness.


First is the pine tree. I saw this little "grow your own pine tree" thing, and I've always wanted to try growing my own bonsai tree. It should sprout in about two weeks, and the info says it will grow quickly. It's an Austrian Pine, which is supposed to be pretty hearty.



Next is the Aquasaurs. I was originally looking for Sea Monkeys, but couldn't find them. Man, are they awesome. These are technically triops, which are little crustaceans like brine shrimp (sea monkeys), except these grow up to two inches long... way bigger than sea monkeys! I put the eggs in the water last night, and this morning Scott and I counted about three. They are insanely tiny, and very hard to see, so it's hard to get an accurate count. Plus, obviously they keep swimming around which doesn't make it easier. Right now there are at least ten, and they are already getting bigger. According to the instructions, only 1-4 will live to adulthood, and they live 30-90 days. I'm totally obsessed with watching the little suckers swim around. I can't wait till they get bigger!



And the most awesome: Robosapien!! He's a robot, and full of win. He comes with a remote, and can do lots of awesome stuff. He does kung foo moves, walks forward and backward, turns around, burps, farts, hi-fives, and is programmable to move however you want. He's about a foot tall, and can hold a paper towel tube in his hands. He can pick up and throw things, but he's not very good at it. And the best part is how much he confuses and infuriates the dog. It's hilarious- Spencer really hates robots.



He came with a miniature version of himself, which we believe to be possessed. The little one is about 6 inches high, and doesn't work. He's supposed to walk when you flip his switch on, but mine doesn't do anything. We put the batteries in and nothing. But earlier today I ran upstairs for a second, and when I came back down, he was walking across the table. I put him on the floor, and he stopped. We left him switched on, and so far he hasn't come back to life, but I'm sort of afraid to leave him alone. He may be plotting a robot coup.



Now I really want Robosapien V2, so they can fight each other. Also, I need to think of a name for mine. He's so great.


In keeping with my recent juvenile fascination, I thought it would be fun to go rollerskating today. Scott tried to convince me it was a bad idea, as roller skates are dangerous... but I didn't listen. I've had this pair of skates for seven years, and only wore them maybe twice. So this morning I put them on and ventured into the parking lot. Everything was fine until I met a gentle slope. Then shit hit the fan. I sped up, lost control, and fell backwards on my ass. I struggled to get up while some neighborhood kids laughed their asses off. It quickly became apparent that attempting to continue down the hill would mean certain death, so I turned around and went uphill. As soon as the ground leveled out, I fell forward. I'm not sure which fall did it, but my elbow is all jacked up. I did manage to make it home (all before the first song on my iPod was over), but was pretty disappointed. Guess it would be better to find a roller rink, where there are no elevation changes or rocks or gum. And maybe get some wrist guards.


Hopefully my minor injuries won't keep me from knitting or making cookies this week. But even if that's the case, at least I have some new toys to keep me entertained.

No comments: