Sunday, December 7, 2008

Some Good News and Bad News

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted to this blog. A lot has happened since October! The Christmas cactus bloomed, although quite a while before Christmas:

It was really pretty and the flowers weren't anything like I expected. Unfortunately they have since all fallen off, but we'll look forward to seeing them next year.


We had a really great Thanksgiving this year. We stayed at home and relaxed with our traditional dinner (mostly from boxes and cans).



The good people at my local Giant were awesome. Usually they carry a frozen boneless turkey breast that is perfect for Scott and I. It even comes with a little packet of gravy starter! But they didn't have any the day before Thanksgiving, which really bummed me out as Scott won't eat meat if it's still on a bone. However, they did have turkey breasts on the bone, and the guy at the butcher counter was happy to de-bone it for me. And for the first time ever, we made gravy successfully. The whole weekend was full of win.


The four day weekend was desperately needed, as work has been insane. We've got more contracts open than ever before, and everyone wants their crap yesterday. I've been working late every night for the past few weeks (except the week of Thanksgiving, where there would be no overtime pay) and it is so tiring. Then to make things a little more stressful, my company laid off 6 people. For three of them (it seems) this wasn't as horrible as it seemed because they got very generous severence packages. Two others looked pissed and dissapointed and I didn't see the last guy. I feel really bad for those last three guys; their severance probably didn't rock to much. The two I knew hadn't been with the company for even a year, and weren't executives or anything. It's sad that this had to happen right before the holidays, but I also know the company didn't really have a choice.


This is the second time I've survived company layoffs, and I'm told I won't have to worry for quite some time as my department is doing pretty well and needs me. What does worry me is this: My division consisted of a VP, Director, 2 Managers, and 3 others including myself before the layoffs. Post-layoffs, the division is, well, gone. Now there is just my manager, my coworker and me. It's very surreal to go into work one day and the entire division (however small) is gone, and my department has gone from 4 to 3 people.


On the bright side, I get an office now. There will be three free, and I've got mine all picked out. Hopefully I can keep the scavengers away... My boss says he'll call IT next week to get my phone number switched over and computer set up. I hope it works out- right now I've got a table as a desk, a plastic beaker in which to keep my pens, and I put my purse on a box of Kimwipes. Having a desk with drawers would be nice. And it only took me 3 years of hard work to get one!


In other work news, I'm going to the company Christmas party for the first time ever. I had to buy a new outfit and shoes, which was annoying. But it's cute, and makes me look like a grown up. Plus it looks good with my glasses. I've been wearing my glasses for past couple weeks because I'm out of contacts and have been too busy to make it to the eye doctor. Now I'm thinking of wearing them exclusively because people treat me less like an idiot when I wear them.


Speaking of Christmas, I made cookies yesterday. We can't afford lots of gifts this year, so everyone is getting cookies. I did make one special cookie to be included in my brother (and sister)-in-law's tin:



Just ignore my husband's notation. And I'd like to take a moment to thank the inventor of parchment paper. I love it more than anything else.


Cookie making was really fun this year. Usually something goes horribly wrong, but this time I had Christmas music, a dusting of snow, and no disasters. Very nice.


That's it for now. I'll try not to go another 6 weeks without posting this time.

No comments: