Sunday, February 13, 2011

A New Phase

I still have 3 weeks before moving. I want to keep moving and getting things done, but there's not a whole lot I can do right now being that far out. I've decided that I'm going to buy some furniture- a couch and bed- instead of trying to move a futon and a big chair I don't really want. It's not so much the "moving it in" part, but what to do with it once I don't need it. Craigslist and Freecycle are okay, but I'm not super keen on the idea of parading strangers through my apartment when it will be easy to see that I live alone. So for the sake of convenience, I'll just get new stuff. That way someone else has to deal with moving it in.

So anyway, with more time to sit and do nothing, I started to realize that all my packing and planning was a terrific way to keep my brain from actually dealing with the situation. Now it's starting to seep in, and I think I'm trying to come up with things (like buying new furniture) to push it back out. I spend a silly amount of time at Lowes thinking up ridiculous ways to decorate, and then I go home and try to think of ways to do it cheaper. I figure it's fine as long as my coping mechanisms aren't self-destructive. I can deal with it all when my mind decides it's ready.

I think I'll go to the mall today. Maybe I can find some bookends. Retail therapy is only destructive if you spend beyond your means, right? Otherwise it's okay, right? At least for a little while?

No comments: