Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Freako McWeirdypants

I think I just learned where I got my freaky streak from. It's gotta be from Mom. I just went through my box of childhood keepsakes for the first time in many years, and the amount of hair my mother saved borders on creepy. I counted six envelopes, from between the ages of one and twelve (they're dated). I can't help but wonder what my mom was thinking... I mean, I get saving a lock from a first haircut, but six? Over more than a decade?

And the weirdest part: the last haircut took place when I was nearly 900 miles away, visiting relatives. My cousin was in beauty school, and needed to cut more than six inches off someone. My hair was super long, so she cut it about shoulder length. It doesn't surprise me that my aunt would have called my mom to make sure it would be okay to chop all that hair off, but it does sort of surprise me that Mom requested a chunk.

Also in the keepsake box: a tin full of baby teeth. I plan on adding my wisdom teeth if they ever come out.

Now I know where to point when people ask me why I saved the skin tags I had removed several years ago. They're swimming in a little specimen cup. I plan on utilizing them one day in my plan to get back at my sister for leaving her teeth on my bed when I was 5. It scared the shit out of me, and I'm still plotting revenge over 20 years later.

I swear, my family isn't as demented as I just made them seem (although I may be the exception).

April 10th Edit: After chatting about this with Scott, apparently it's not that weird to save a bunch of your kid's hair. He suggested that it might be to see how it changes over time, which is sort of reasonable, I guess. But it still seems odd to me.

No comments: