Monday, February 25, 2008

There is Such a Thing as Too Nice

I have a complete inability to say what I'm thinking, or even express a real opinion most times. This can really be problematic, especially when getting a haircut.

Today I went for a haircut, and since I am too afraid to hurt the stylists feelings, it turned out horrible. I had looked through a magazine, and picked the exact cut I wanted. I went to the salon, magazine in hand- I've been to this salon a few times, and had good experiences there. I showed the girl the picture. "Hmm," she said disapprovingly, "I don't think this style is right for your hair type." She asked if there were some other pictures I liked, so I showed her a couple more. She looked at my hair for a minute, and started to explain what she wanted to do. As soon as the word "bob" left her mouth, I stopped her, "I don't want a bob." I had a bob my freshman year of high school (after a stylist at Fantastic Sam's grossly misinterpreted a picture I showed her) and my brother told me I looked like a penis. I had a bob again my senior year when I needed to cut off a lot of damaged hair, and hated it. And finally, when I was 20 another woman gave me a bob after I specifically said NO BOB. What is it with hair stylists defaulting to the bob every time I want to cut my hair short!?

I politely explained that I have had my hair "bobbed" before, and didn't like it. The cut makes me look so pie-faced it's silly. She came back with oh, I'm thinking of something a little different, and it will be layered, and don't worry. 45 minutes later I had a bob. And she had blown the edges out, making me look even too cutsie for an episode of fucking Full House. Shit. She must have seen a glimmer of uncertainty in my eye, because she told me that she had "texturized" the ends so that it would still look okay if I didn't feel like blowing it out. All I could do was squeak out a meek, "Thanks, it looks great." I mean, it did look nice... it was just too high maintenance for me, and way too white bread.

I went home figuring that if I washed and styled it my own way, everything would be fine. Nothing could be further from the truth. I soaked my hair, and blew it dry normally, and it looks so terrible that I want to cry. There is no way I can feel good about this. If I don't style it the way it was, it looks terrible. If I do style it the way it was, I'll need to trade in all my Volcom t-shirts for lavender twinsets.

Now I just have to find a nice hat to wear until I find another place to fix this mess. And the next time someone mentions the word "bob" I am going to scream and run in the opposite direction.

No comments: