Friday, April 8, 2011

Pretend I Posted This On Friday

I blog to you today from the lovely state of Connecticut! I am here again to train our new winder, which is really very boring. My trip goes something like this:

3:15am- Wake up (barely), shower, etc.
4:30am- Leave for BWI, try not to kill myself or others by falling asleep at the wheel.
5:30am- Arrive at BWI, try not to fall asleep on the shuttle, in the security line, or at the gate; lest my things be stolen. Acquire coffee.
6:30am- Board plane, doze off while playing Sudoku.
7:30am- Arrive in CT, take shuttle to Enterprise.
7:35am- Schmooze rental guy, pay for a compact but receive a premium car. Do happy dance on the inside, and be grateful that I didn't let myself go.
8:00am-ish- Arrive at work. Acquire more coffee and also animal crackers. Locate boss.
8:15am- Critique trainees work thus far. Sit in the room while she practices, intermittently answer questions, check her progress every once in a while and offer advice, but mostly play on my phone or check email. Internally debate whether I would get in trouble for knitting.
12:00pm- Have lunch, usually with the engineer.
1:00pm- See 8:15am.
5:00pm- Leave work.
5:20pm- Hit a drive thru on the way to the hotel.
5:30pm- Relax in hotel room, watch crappy TV, and eventually zonk out.
7:30am- Wake up late, rush to shower, get my things and check out.
8:15am- Get to work 15 min late, blame it on "getting turned around."
8:30am- See the first 8:15am.
3:00pm- Drop off rental, get shuttled to airport

And blah, blah, blah… I'm sure you know how it goes. I eventually get home around 7-7:30, and veg out, typically with yet another fast food meal. Tonight I've been invited to have dinner with the trainee and her husband, which should be fun. I will be immensely grateful to have a home-cooked meal. And maybe on one of my future trips I can get some people to go out for beers or something. The engineer took me out for beers last week when he was in Maryland, and I may have gotten a little more drunk than I intended. He was kind enough to give me a lift home, and then back the next day to get my Jeep. But now I know: 1 beer + food = OK. 3 beers + mostly empty stomach = sloshed.

With all the overtime I racked up, I decided to treat myself to a new phone. I had the same original iPhone, which became insanely slow with the v4 software update. It was getting annoying, and I wanted a 16g that would fit my entire iTunes library. But last summer I gave my upgrade to Cass, and wouldn't be eligible for another until February 2012. So I went in the AT&T store expecting to dish out full price for an iPhone 4. Instead (and possibly, like the rental car, due to being cute) I wound up paying half price. Of course I had to resign my contract, but whatevs. I got my phone. And I love it. It's faster, and fits all my music, and the retina display is incredible. Mostly I love that all I had to do was hook up my old phone to my MacBook, make sure all my recent purchases were transferred, and then hook up my new phone. Everything copied over, easy as pie.

I won't lie. I subscribe to the Cult of Apple. I just like having things that work together so seamlessly. I guess time will tell if I really want to keep drinking the Apple Kool-Aid or not… It's easy to love new things. I know how crappy and slow my old laptop got after three years, so we'll see if the MacBook does better. I'm betting it will, unless a software update comes out that it can't support, driving millions to buy a new version or deal with their newly useless machine.

No comments: