Saturday, May 23, 2009

Laziest Day Ever

Scott left on a camping trip this morning, leaving me on my own for most of the weekend.* A moment ago, I reflected on my day thus far, and decided I really should not be left on my own with no direction. Apparently, this is what happens:

Around 7 I woke up and showered. The next couple hours were spent assisting in making breakfast and coffee for 6 biker friends of the Husband. Around 10 they all left on aforementioned camping trip. At that time, I whined via Facebook status about having to clean up the bacon grease splattered all over the stove. Afterwards, I may have had a drink to cope with the recent stress of having many people in the house so early, and the prospect of cleaning.** From 10:30-11:30 I cleaned said grease, did many dishes, and vacuumed the layer of dog hair Spencer unleashed at the excitement of having company. Afterward, I ate a brownie as a reward.

Around noon, I decided to check out Wonder Books. For those not local to this area, it's a bookstore that sells new and used books, DVDs, VHS, CDs, etc. I think they rent movies, too. It's supposedly a great place to go if you're looking for something out-of-print, or if you still have a functional VCR. Thinking they may have some rare knitting books, I go, only to find their knitting/crochet section is pitifully small. I guess knitters don't let go of their old books... I did find a book with some general patterns in it, and picked up a paperback copy of Red Dragon. When I got back, I more thoroughly examined my purchases while eating an apple. So far this isn't too bad, but then I rapidly sank into boredom:

I spent the better part of the afternoon taking quizzes on Facebook, wandering aimlessly around Ravelry, and watching TV. I followed a fly around the house with a spray bottle set to "mist" for a while, thinking that if I got him wet he wouldn't be able to fly around, and he'd land so I could catch him. I have a thing about smooshing bugs. And cleaning up smooshed bugs. Unfortunately, he was clever enough to go under the couch, so that was the end of that. I made an iced mocha, and went back to screwing around on the interwebs. Later I was suddenly struck with the feeling that I was developing a fever. As I put down the laptop to go get a thermometer, I realized that it was only the heat of the computer making me hot. Feeling stupid, and still bored, I went to the kitchen to procure a snack. On the way, I tripped over the abandoned spray bottle. I ate a banana while pondering compost heaps and wishing we had a backyard. By that time it was nearing 7:30 and I noticed the whole day had been a wash, due to my own laziness. Eventually, I decided to blog in an effort to redeem myself and that's where I sit now. Somewhere in there I did manage to get 4 rounds of a sock done, but that's it.

A bit of sock, a couple of books, and a clean kitchen- that's all I have to show for the day. One of these days I'm going to figure out this whole "productivity" thing. And learn how to eat like a normal person, with regular meals and all that.

*Would-be rapers and killers beware: I am alone but armed.

**I'd like to point out that I almost never drink, but have an affinity for Disaronno and a rebellious attitude toward social mores (like drinking alone in the morning).

No comments: