Sunday, March 15, 2009

Yesterday was my 27th birthday, and I have to say it was pretty fantastic. First, upon waking, I found these in the place of my old, worn slippers:


Yay! New slippers! And they are Spencer-approved! Then Scott made me a delicious breakfast of coffee, toast, a blueberry muffin, bacon, sausage, and egg-in-a-hole with cheese on it. Mmmm....


After getting cleaned up, off we went to go yarn shopping!


We actually had a little adventure before this, as the yarn shop was closed for lunch when we arrived, but I'll get back to that in a minute. We first went to Knittin' Chicks in Mt. Airy. I'd never been there before, and found the owner to be super friendly. Scott liked her giant coffee mugs. Then we went to Eleganza in Frederick, my favorite LYS. I cleaned out some of their sale yarn, with dreams of making a sweater (but we'll see).

As for that little side trip... After seeing the Out To Lunch sign at the first yarn shop, Scott wanted to see what else was in downtown Mt. Airy, as we'd never been there before. We turned back onto the main street, and immediately saw a little gun shop. Intrigued, we turned around and decided to see what it was like. Scott and I had discussed buying a shotgun for the house several months ago, but it never really came to fruition. We walked into The Gun Shack (which is much larger than it appears from the outside), and browsed around a bit. Well, Scott browsed; I followed and tried not to get in the way.

Honestly, before yesterday I had never even seen a gun in person, except for on the hip of a cop. It was intimidating. Scott on the other hand, being ex-military, has fired all sorts of guns before, and previously owned several from what I understand. He talked to a nice woman, Sara, about business in general and about the Mossberg/Maverick line. She told us that guns have been flying off the shelves since about two months before the election. She was very concerned that Obama will eventually put her out of business, which isn't unrealistic. Even as an Obama supporter, I disagree with his (typically Democratic/liberal) view on gun rights. I think I'm more Libertarian in my views, and think people should be able to own whatever guns they want. Stricter gun laws mostly affect law-abiding folks buying guns legally- and not the criminals that will just get them illegally either way. Anyhow, Sara was very helpful, and in the end we walked out with a shiney new Maverick 88 8-shot Security Shotgun.


You can say it. I look totally hot with that gun. Scott taught me how to hold it properly, and when the weather is a little nicer we will practice shooting it. Honestly, I'm pretty terrified of shooting it, as it will likely knock me on my ass. But in the unlikely event that I need to shoot it, some practice may come in handy.


Later, we relaxed at home and Scott made me a lovely cake:

(It's true. They are pretty great.)

All in all, it was a great birthday. The only bad part is that it will be really hard to top this one next year!

No comments: